16 December 2006

Fire Destroys Home in Woodridge - 7 People Left Homeless

This is terribly sad...please be careful not to overload outlets and extension cords, particularly this time of the year with heaters, holiday lights, and decorations. From WTOP:
An overloaded extension cord being used in a rear bedroom is being blamed for a fire that destroyed a home in the Brookland [Woodridge] section of the District.

The fire broke out around 4:45 a.m. on Saturday in the 2100 block of Monroe Street, Northeast.

D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services Department spokesman Alan Etter says the fire destroyed the single family home, and left seven people homeless.

Etter says two men, 19 and 34 years-old and a 17-year-old woman were taken to George Washington University Hospital for treatment of burns and smoke inhalation.

A woman took three boys, ages 12, ten and four to Children's Hospital to have them checked out for possible smoke related injuries.

Firefighters estimate the damage at $450,000.

Additional information can be found on dcfire.com. If anyone knows the family and what assistance/items they may need at this time, please leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.